The much talked-about design for the alteration of the Museum de Fundatie has been made by Bierman Henket Architects. The extension was made possible through a once-only € 5m. contribution by the Province of Overijssel. Other contributions came from the Municipality of Zwolle, the BankGiro Lottery and the following sponsors: Baker Tilly Berk, Bouwfonds Cultuurfonds, DeltaWonen B.V., Deltion College, DSM Resins B.V., Èpos Press B.V., Hemmink B.V., NS, Novon Schoonmaak, Nysingh advocaten-notarissen, Rabobank IJsseldelta, Unica Installatietechniek, Waanders, Wavin B.V., Wijzonol Bouwverven, Windesheim, Zehnder Group Nederland/J.E. Stork Air, O. de Leeuw B.V.. SNS Reaalfonds, VandenEnde Foundation, VSBfonds. The Municipality of Zwolle has commissioned the renovation. The main building contractor is BAM Utiliteitsbouw bv Regio Oost
The Paleis a/d Blijmarkt is Museum de Fundatie’s location in Zwolle. These neo-classicistic premises were erected between 1838 and 1841, based on a design by the architect Eduard Louis de Coninck from The Hague. It served as the Palace of Justice and later housed the National Department for Town and Country Planning. In 2004/2005 the Paleis a/d Blijmarkt was converted into an art museum in accordance with a design by the architect Gunnar Daan.The museum was spectacularly renovated in 2012 and since 1 June 2013 open to the public. 'THE EYE’, or 'The cloud', is what the elliptically shaped superstructure on the roof is called by the Museum de Fundatie itself. But already numerous other nicknames are going around: 'the egg', 'the UFO', 'the Zeppelin' or 'the spaceship'. The extension, a design of Hubert-Jan Henket, accommodates two exhibition rooms with a total surface area of almost 1,000 m². A large oval window offers a view of the historic inner city.
On the outside the superstructure is clad with 55,000 white-blue tiles. Optically the expansion is lifted like a ceramic cloud, floating above the originally neo-classical building. Located where the medieval city centre borders on the 19th century avenues, the renovated Museum is a present-day beacon as well as an icon for the future. The new construction meets the demand for extra space for the successful sandwich of crowd pullers and specialist-oriented exhibitions.
In conjunction with Kasteel Het Nijenhuis, the Paleis has been home to the Museum de Fundatie since June 2005. The ground floor accommodates an extensive selection of works from the Museum’s own collection of visual art, from the late Middle Ages to the present day. This collection was primarily amassed by collector Dirk Hannema (1895-1984; former managing director of the Museum Boymans in Rotterdam) and includes works by old masters such as Strozzi, Vroom and Weenix, international top pieces by Picabia, Turner, Bernini and Canova, and a large collection of Dutch art by artists such as Mondrian, Israëls, Toorop, Van der Leck, Appel, Lucebert, Voerman and many others. Temporary expositions are compiled regularly, and are displayed on the top floor. Further information is to be found under the ‘exhibitions’ and ‘collections’ buttons.
Extension museum de Fundatie Zwolle
Year: 2013, Location: Zwolle, Architect: Bierman Henket Architects, Commissioned by: Zwolle town council, Contractor: BAM Utiliteitsbouw, Product: three-dimensionally shaped glazed tiles,
Project description: In 2011, Royal Tichelaar Makkum was asked to develop and produce ceramic cladding for an extension of unusual design for the Museum de Fundatie. This former courthouse, which dates back to 1840, was too small to offer adequate space for the exhibitions, museum collections and visitors. The design for the extension by architect Hubert-Jan Henket forms a sharp contrast with the museum's neoclassical building. At the same time, the fluid form of this three-dimensional ellipsoid, also called 'The Eye', refers to the organic design of the park by the landscape architect J.D. Zocher at the rear of the building.
Meticulous detailing for the facade of the double elliptical construction was essential for the design. Henket chose a ceramic skin, which could blend into the sky. To achieve the desired effect our company performed various tests in close consultation with Hubert-Jan Henket. Finally a choice was made for a cladding consisting of wedge-shaped tiles with a white glaze interspersed with light blue accents. A great deal of attention was devoted to mounting and distributing the ceramic elements. The modules are in two sizes and the wedge-shaped tiles were randomly positioned, which results in the light and the sky being reflected both unpredictably and in many different ways. Royal Tichelaar Makkum was responsible for the production and the installation: over 50,000 tiles were produced to clad 1,340 m2.
specifications module size: two wedge-shaped models of 200 x 200 and 100 x 100 mm, frost resistant and for outdoor application, glazed in white with blue haze.
The Museum de Fundatie administers an extensive collection of visual art, which has its origins in the collection of the former director of the Museum Boymans in Rotterdam, Dirk Hannema. Over the years this collection has been increased by various important acquisitions, such as the art collection of the Province of Overijssel. The Museum de Fundatie has two magnificent locations: the Kasteel het Nijenhuis near Heino and the Paleis on Blijmarkt in Zwolle.
Paleis a/d Blijmarkt
NL-8011 NE Zwolle